Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Times They Are A Changing

In nine days I will be leaving my home for the last 4 years, Hannibal, Missouri. I spent three and a half years here going to school at Hannibal LaGrange College, met my wife, got married, helped start a church, and ran a music venue all here in Hannibal. Hannibal is the home of many great memories in my life. It was here that I first came out of my shell, and learned how to have a healthy social life. Courtney and I spent many days days together, going to movies, concerts, demolition derbies, parks, skating rinks, and a plethora of other places. It was here in Hannibal where I met friends like Chad, Matt, Andy, Richard, Jake, Stephen, and Sean. I learned to grow in my faith. I learned a great deal about leadership. I was mentored by Joe, Ron, Sam, and Dr. Hufty.

I will miss the feel of this familiar town. I love the sleepy river feel. I loved the excitement with the teens on show night down at The Crux. I will miss those kids a great deal. I was able to live the dream for a while, and hopefully a venue will be in my future again. This town has become ingrained in who I am; from my corncob pipe, to my interest in bluegrass, its mark is evident on my life.

As I move it is an exciting and sad time. I will miss all the memories and friends here, but I know God has something great in store for us in Wisconsin. We will be working at Honey Rock Camp. I will be in a Graduate Program Assistantship and Courtney will be a Marketing Intern.


So I leave you with some Mark Twain quotes:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.”

“Life does not consist mainly, or even largely, of facts and happenings. It consists mainly of the storm of thought that is forever flowing through one's head.”

“The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out, the conservative adopts them.”


No comments: